Saturday 14 January 2012

Replica Memories

I began thinking about the division of sacred objects kept after a loved ones death between a group of people who treasure them, family and friends. I started by thinking of these items as communion tokens or similar to the small blessed tokens offered in Catholic churches, mass produced but by there nature, evocative. I decided to replicate my Grandmothers wedding ring as a starting point.

The first batch I produced are in plaster. Cheap material, easy to work with but very delicate, meaning the owner must look after it as well as the would the original.




Eventually I decided to try and make copies that were aesthetically more like the original. Pewter seemed like the natural progression, the metal has the same tactility at the gold of the original.


Video of Sand-casting process used to make the pewter rings.


No comments:

Post a Comment